secondary top left
secondary top
content header

History of the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre

1922
At the request of Monsignor Henri Cormier, parish priest for the francophone community in Moncton, Sister Angèle-de-Brescia and three other nuns from the Montreal convent Soeurs de la Providence establish a 17-bed hospital called the Hôtel-Dieu de l’Assomption at 54-56 Church Street.

1928
Official opening of the new Hôtel-Dieu on Providence Street with a capacity of 125 beds.

1930
Foundation of the first medical board for the Hôtel-Dieu with Dr. Louis Napoléon Bourque as president. The first class graduates from the School of Nursing.

1952
Creation of the first Advisory Committee for the Hôtel-Dieu with Mr. Calixte Savoie as president

1956
The new wing of the Hôtel-Dieu is unveiled, bringing the hospital’s capacity to 188 beds.

1967
Purchase of the Hôtel-Dieu by the Province of New Brunswick. The Soeurs de la Providence leave after 45 years of service. The hospital is renamed the Dr. Georges-L. Dumont Regional Hospital, in memory of a great Acadian doctor and Health Minister who died in 1966.

1975
Inauguration of the new Dr. Georges-L. Dumont Regional Hospital with a capacity of 273 beds. The Pavillon Hôtel-Dieu is home to many medical and support services.

1977
Confirmation of the role of the Dr. Georges-L. Dumont Regional Hospital as a regional hospital and referral centre for francophones throughout New Brunswick.

1981
Establishment of a medical education department for students in training periods, interns and residents in medicine.

1989
First annual campaign for the Tree of Hope.

1991
Inauguration of the new wing, which brings the capacity of the hospital to 423 beds.

1992
Creation of the Beauséjour Hospital Corporation to run the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont Regional Hospital, the Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital and the Shediac Regional Medical Centre. The Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont Regional Hospital is designated as a teaching hospital, affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine of the Université de Sherbrooke.

1993
The Dr. Léon-Richard Oncology Centre for cancer treatment opens.

1997
The Providence School of Nursing (École d'enseignement infirmier Providence) closes after 70 years of existence and 1,331 graduates. 75th anniversary of the hospital' s foundation and publication of a commemorative book by Claude Bourque entitled Rêves de visionnaires.

1998
Following an agreement between the Beauséjour Hospital Corporation, the Université de Moncton and the New Brunswick Community College, Campbellton campus, the new Bachelor of Science degree in radiology is created. This degree is the first French-language program of its kind in Canada.

1999
The Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont Regional Hospital is designated as the principal hospital for the VIIIth Francophone Summit (Sommet de la Francophonie).

2002
The goverment of N.-B. replaces hospital corporations by regional health authorities. The Beauséjour Hospital Corporation is thus replaced by the Beauséjour Regional Health Authority.


Contact us | Site Map | Webmaster| Disclaimer| Credits
Last update:  April 7, 2014